Effective as of May 16 2018
- Use of the services is intended for Finnish academic research, unless otherwise agreed in advance
- Research results should be public
- Registering an account and becoming a User
- As a User, you are responsible for the use of the Account and Services
- User and Project management
- User Content
- Only limited backups are taken and not guaranteed
- Service level declaration and limited warranty
- How and when are User accounts terminated?
- Contacting CSC
For some services, additional terms or requirements may apply. Additional terms are available with the relevant services, and those additional terms become part of your agreement with CSC if you use those services. CSC reserves the right to change these Terms. When we make material changes to these Terms, we'll provide the Users with prominent notice as appropriate under the circumstances, e.g. by displaying a prominent notice within the Services or by sending you an email.
1. Use of the services is intended for Finnish academic research, unless otherwise agreed in advance
The rights to use the Services are granted for academic research and higher education by Finnish universities and universities of applied sciences, and by state research institutes, if not otherwise agreed.
The User can only use the Services for the purposes for which they have been granted. The purpose is agreed when CSC opens an Account or approves applications. The purpose may be further specified in a research plan, objectives, proposal, or other definition of scope.
Use of Services may involve additional license conditions by third parties. For example, manufacturers or external authorities may limit the use of services for research purposes only or based on the nationality or affiliation of Users. In cases where extra license conditions are applied, CSC will make them available to the User.
Users are responsible for making sure that their use of the Services is in compliance with laws and any applicable regulations and license conditions.
Unless otherwise agreed, research results must be released publicly, preferably for peer review.
The User agrees to cite that the Services have been used to produce the results in publications and presentations. How to cite CSC in a paper.
To use some of the Services you must apply for an Account as described on the CSC web pages. CSC reserves the right to reject a User application.
Access to an Account is controlled by credentials, for example username and passwords.
You must use the email address provided by your organization (e.g. university or company) as your primary contact information. Please contact CSC if you do not have an email address provided by your organization.
Users whose home organizations are identity providers in the Haka identity federation must have an association between their CSC account and home organization's identity.
CSC requires User contact details to notify users about changes to these terms, service interruptions, service information, and other important issues.
Users must inform CSC if their contact details change.
CSC is entitled to publish general information about the User and the purpose for which the user rights have been granted. These are: the user's name, organization, science area, project name, description and resource usage.
- Share your credentials, leave them for others to see, or neglect any security responsibilities defined in the service description.
- Misuse or abuse any CSC or third-party service or property, including intellectual property. Breaking the law is considered misuse.
- Misuse or abuse User Content, credentials, or other confidential information.
- Send or transmit harassing, abusive, libelous, obscene, or unsolicited (spam) communications.
- Tamper with or deliberately disrupt system resources or network traffic to the Services.
Users agree to notify CSC promptly if their account has been used without permission or if their credentials have been lost or stolen.
Users are liable, even after the user account has been terminated, for damage and costs to CSC:
- as a result of intentionally violating these terms.
- as a result of intentionally violating 3rd party licensing conditions.
You need a CSC Project ("Project") to use some of the Services. Allocation of resources ("Billing Units") is based on Projects.
Every Project has a User who is also a Principal Investigator. By default, it is the first member of the Project.
- The principal investigator serves as a contact person between the project and CSC.
- The Principal Investigator can add or request CSC to add Users to Projects.
- The Principal Investigator is responsible for ensuring that the identity of each User added to the Project is vetted. This is done by default for Users who have accounts at Finnish universities and universities of applied sciences and are members of the Haka identity federation.
- If members join or leave the Project, the Principal Investigator must update the list of project members accordingly.
A Project is valid for one year at a time, starting from the day of admission, unless agreed otherwise. CSC will notify the members of the Project before the expiration date of the Project.
Upon CSC's request, the Principal Investigator must report on the progress of the project and the use of the Services.
User Content ("Content") means the User's data, software, servers, systems, or processes that use or interact with the Services.
The User is responsible for the Content stored in, or transmitted via, CSC's Services and that it complies with all applicable laws and regulations, data policies, and these terms.
If User Content includes personal data, sensitive personal data, or other confidential information, the User is responsible for making sure that the Service used to handle the data complies with the required security measures.
The User gives CSC the right to access User Content when operating the service. For example, automated monitoring for intrusion detection, taking backups, copying/moving Content, or reproducing faults. At all times, CSC protects the confidentiality of User Content as far as permitted by law.
No ownership rights or intellectual property rights of Content are transferred when using the Services, if not otherwise agreed.
Users are responsible for sharing of their Content according to the Project's and their own requirements. For example, if a User leaves a Project, they should ensure they transfer Project Content to another User of that Project.
Upon request, we will make a reasonable effort to provide the User with a copy of the User Content (to which the User has ownership or intellectual property rights) after account cancellation or termination. The User must make this request within 90 days of cancellation or termination and provide CSC with a location to store the copy of User Content. Copies of User Content may technically remain on Backup Storage, but access to the data will be strictly restricted.
CSC takes backup copies of some Content. This is defined in the relevant service description. However, CSC gives no guarantee for restoring any Content and declines any liability for files lost for any reason.
CSC recommends that Users maintain an up-to-date copy of their content by other means if they cannot afford to lose it.
CSC makes no warranty that the Services will operate error-free or without interruption or that any communication to, from, or through the service will be completely secure. However, CSC aims to follow industry best practice service management and security measures.
Use of the Services is at the users own risk, and CSC is not liable for any damages caused.
CSC reserves the right to modify and terminate any Service at any time.
The CSC account is valid for one year at a time, starting from the day of admission, unless agreed otherwise. CSC will notify Users well before the expiration date of the account.
The right to use our Services ends when the original purpose is no longer valid or the User has parted from the User's affiliated organization. If the User wants to continue the use of Services when affiliated to a new organization, they must contact CSC in order to verify their eligibility.
The user account can be terminated or suspended by CSC without notice:
- In the event of any unauthorized use of the Services.
- If CSC has a justified reason to suspect that the Services are used contrary to these terms.
You can terminate your user account by giving notice to CSC via the contact information below. If no legal requirements are pending, the User account and associated Content will be deleted (though some information may remain in backups). This information cannot be recovered once the Account is terminated.
CSC will retain and use general User information (as defined in section 3) as necessary for reporting and statistical purposes, to comply with legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce agreements.
To contact CSC, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +358 9 457 2821.
Users are also welcome to give feedback about these terms or any other aspect of our Services.